About Exhibition - Collection History of Burial
The exhibition - collection of the history of burial in Crete is located in the municipal cemetery of St. Constantinos & Elenis in Heraklion Crete, on Knossos Avenue. The building where the collection is housed was built around 1890 to be used as an ossuary. The cemetery was built in the same year. Today there are 612 family tombs.
In the cemetery there are also graves linked to the recent history of the city and of Crete, such as the British plot for the 18 British soldiers who died for their actions defending the freedom of Crete on August 25, 1898. The tomb of the Archbishop of Crete, Eugene Psalidakis, tombs of Mayors of Heraklion, of politicians, partisans, authors and eminent people of Heraklion. It is worth mentioning that the area of aproximately 6 acres surrounding the Museum is embellished by sculptures of notable artists, which are of remarkable value and beauty.
The building that houses the collection extends in two floors. On the first floor one can see the evolution of burial in Crete from Minoan times until today.
On the ground floor there are vestments of the Archbishop of Crete, Eugene Psalidakis, Christian religious items from different times, a painting with the Abduction of Persephone, a painting which refers to Nikos Kazantzakis and Galateia Alexiou; it should be noted that they were married in this place.
The exhibition - collection was created in May 2015, funded by the Parish Council of St. Constantine and Helen, headed by f. Constantine Pitsikakis and it was designed by architect Hercules Pyrgianakis.